The Sapphire Mystery

“Meet me at the airport in Atlanta this Saturday,” was the text message I received on my iPhone early that morning in my study. It was still dark; about 4:30 a.m., I knew Alister (Professor) Peridot kept odd hours. I immediately texted Peridot, "What's up, kind sir?”

Instantaneously, an email from Peridot popped up, “We will review the facts on the flight – we're off to India. Click the attached link in this e-mail. Your flight is confirmed.”

My name is Adamas Bontemps, Graduate Gemologist (G.G.). I'm a French gemology student passionate about journaling and the lost art of deductive observation. However, my formative years were spent in the Midwest, the Chicago area. My home is in California; as you will see, the nature of my work allows me the freedom to travel the world extensively. My friend and mentor, Peridot, always had surprises up his sleeve. This time, his plan to visit India was particularly mysterious. Obviously, there was no time to waste; the resolve in his e-mail demanded immediate action. I gathered my things, verified my electronic boarding pass, arranged for an Uber, and sped off to the airport.

As I gazed out the window at the clear blue sky, fluffy white clouds, and manicured patches of green below, my flight to Atlanta was uneventful, so I decided to research India during my free time. Connected to the plane's Wi-Fi network, I used my iPhone to browse Wikipedia and was reminded that India is a major diamond-cutting center. In fact, it is one of the largest in the world! India developed automated cutting systems to improve their diamond cutting production, surpassing Antwerp. As a result, several gemological laboratories have opened up in India.

When I arrived in Atlanta, I found Peridot savoring the scent of his espresso at the airport coffee shop, his mustache a slight hint of foam from his beverage. He was impeccably dressed, as always, with a fine vest, a subdued necktie, and polished shoes.

“Monsieur Bontemps, my dear friend, won't you join me for afternoon coffee?”

“Oui, merci, how are you Peridot?”

“Fine, just fine - have a seat, my boy . . . This app is simply delightful; when I arrived, I had absolutely no idea where the coffee shop in this airport was located,” said Peridot. “Not only was I able to locate six in the vicinity, but the GPS in this enchanted phone gave me step-by-step directions through this labyrinth of hallways.”

As an afterthought, Peridot commented, “We absolutely must find a way to use this technology in our pursuit of the Gem Identification process. I’m so smitten with this “Siri.” Her charming voice. How do you find her Bontemps?”

In a dismissive manner - frustrated, motioning with my right hand, “Yes, yes, charming - so, what’s this about going to India? You brought me all the way to Atlanta to expound on the virtues of your iPhone?” After a short pause, I tried again, “My apologies, Professor, allow me to repeat my question - why are we going to India?”

He raised his cup to his lips in his aristocratic bravado as he leaned back in his chair and smiled, “Patience, my boy, we have a long flight ahead of us. We will review all the facts of the case at that time.”

We were aboard our flight to Mumbai, India, a few hours later. We settled into our first-class accommodations. While swirling a vintage Bordeaux, Peridot began, “Our assignment is to recover a Ceylon Sapphire that was believed to be switched from a Paris boutique just last week. My thread of a lead is a text alert that an unusually large fine-quality sapphire was submitted to a lab in India for an origin report. It’s a personal matter, Bontemps; I've tried to pin down my adversary Dee Davies, a swarthy Welsh gentleman who has tormented me for years. Through my observations of international activity from this amazing device, I’ve discovered that the client who submitted the stone is Master Davies himself.”

“Are you sure it’s a Ceylon sapphire?”

“That is what the origin report will confirm. As I'm sure you know, Bontemps, the most celebrated sapphires in the world, come from Sri Lanka - from the old English name Ceylon. The Kashmir region is another location of top quality sapphire which has long since been exhausted of the gem."

"Yes," I replied. "I understand that sapphires also come from Australia, Thailand, Madagascar, other African locations, even Montana.”

Peridot paused momentarily to savor his Bordeaux, “This particular stone has been displayed in Paris for many years. It lacked a pedigree, and I suspect Dee Davies has a potential buyer he’s meeting in India.”

“So, the stone is not in a mounting; it's loose?”

“Yes, the original mounting is still intact - most assuredly, the stone in Paris is an imitation.” A French colleague, inspector François Vidocq, confirmed that nothing appears to have been disturbed at the gallery.”

Upon our arrival at Mumbai's International Airport, we were walking to our car service when Peridot suddenly stopped abruptly, “There he is, Bontemps - that man just getting into the taxi, it’s Davies! So, he is in Mumbai . . .”

Click this link to the next post.

Comments

Popular Posts