1740 Tsavorite Lane

Upon our return from India, we spent a few days unraveling the sapphire mystery at Peridot’s home in Los Angeles.

Not long after I was hired to teach at the School of Gemology, Alister Peridot completed his sabbatical there and resumed his duties at the University. He had long since retired from teaching as a tenured professor of Geological Sciences. The son of a wealthy businessman, he never wanted for money. He had moved west to earn his Ph.D. from Stanford. Peridot's passion for gemstones began at a young age while working at his father's jewelry store in Des Moines, Iowa. During this time, he gained valuable experience in watchmaking, jewelry repair, and sizing. He and his father traveled to Tucson, Arizona, every year to purchase rare, unique gems for their high-end clients.

The access road was a narrow, winding climb. At the top, a low-profile bungalow nestled in the Hollywood hills came into view. Peridot’s home at 1740 Tsavorite Lane had a rather simple but modern design, yet it would prove to be quite comfortable inside.

“Thank you for the kind invitation,” I said as we entered through the large turquoise door. The feeling of spaciousness was overwhelming. The entryway contained Amethyst geode sentinels guarding the front entrance, and large skylights filled the space with soft light.

“Welcome to my humble abode, Adamas,” said Peridot with a sly grin.

It was a three-story, three-bedroom home built into the hillside. We entered on the second level, with hardwood floors and a spiral staircase near the fireplace. Books festooned the shelves, meticulously organized and carefully labeled.

“So this is your Petite Versailles,” I smiled.

Peridot nodded, “Why yes – I find it very comfortable.”

Peridot appreciated technology, but he relished the smell and feel of bound leather books, and his entire house was a library. “During the planning, my specific instructions to the architect - built-in bookshelves throughout the house,” said Peridot. “This will be your room, Adamas; make yourself comfortable; we will chat later this evening over dinner to review our findings in Mumbai.”

My room was on the third level adjacent to Peridot’s study – I stopped to admire the panoramic view of the City of Angels.

Once unpacked, I couldn’t help but wander into his study out of sheer curiosity. On the shelves were mineral specimens, gemstones, and carvings. One piece in particular caught my eye. It was a rather large ring with an intense yellowish-green stone. I examined it carefully. This is a spectacular gem; I must ask about it later.

During our many video chats in recent years, I saw how he could always stay within the frame of the video as he moved around his office. Three webcams that appeared to use face detection technology were mounted on the walls. “Voilà—so that’s how he does it,” I muttered to myself.

It was a large, comfortable room illuminated with diffused light from a skylight. There were four large flat screens above an imposing oak desk. As I examined the room, my hand caressed the office chair; it was supple chocolate brown leather exhibiting a luster much like his shoes. There was a full bar with stools in the corner and a group of matching leather chairs surrounding a round table in front of a fireplace. The west wall was a large sliding glass door that exited to an inviting deck – in all the most luxurious rooms in the house, so it seemed.

Our trip had been long; rather fatigued, I withdrew to my room to take a nap.

Bing – bong – bing – bong, the Westminster clock chimed; it must have been about five o’clock when I awoke. Built into the nightstand was an intercom, a message light glowing. The text message, “Dinner at 6:00, join me in the kitchen on the first floor – Peridot.” I glanced at my phone, and the same text alert was there. My phone was synchronized with the intercom system. Incredible. I tapped it to engage the digital assistant, “See you then.”

Dinner was on the table when I arrived, and Peridot was seated with a book in hand.

“What are you working on?”

“Just a little recreational reading, Sir Conan Doyle. I find the adventures of Mr. Holmes very enlightening. They certainly exercise the mind,” said Peridot.

"Professor, in your office, I noticed a ring. It was an intense yellowish green. I suspect it was a garnet.”

"You are correct, Adamas; allow me to provide you an additional clue. The refractive index (R.I.) of that garnet is 1.740," said Peridot. He smiled, "When you approached the house, did you happen to observe the street sign and address just above the doorway.”

"Of course - 1740 Tsavorite Lane." I laughed heartily, "That's a superb Tsavorite garnet specimen you have there, professor.”

"Thank you. Would you like a little wine with dinner?”

Yes, please - have you heard from our client in India, Mr. Kaniyar?”

Peridot looked up from his book, “Why yes, received an e-mail just this afternoon. It seems our friend, Mr. Davies, did return for the stone. He could be anywhere in the world by now. We may see his carefully crafted doublet again, I'm afraid.”

“Let’s not concern ourselves with that matter right now, enjoy your dinner . . .”

To be continued.

Comments

  1. It has been months since I read bout Peridot and Adamus-- so I'm wondering - is he hesitant about 'invading' Peridot's privacy when he goes into his librarey-den? and when he mutters, "So that's how he does it." - Does what? But it is interesting and I will read mpre soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Refers to the following video chats: During our many video chats in recent years, I saw how he could always stay within the frame of the video as he moved around his office. Three webcams that appeared to use face detection technology were mounted on the walls. “Voilà—so that’s how he does it,” I muttered to myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts