1740 Tsavorite Lane

Upon our return from India, we spent several days unraveling the threads of the sapphire mystery at Peridot’s private retreat in Los Angeles.


Not long after I joined the faculty at the School of Gemology, Peridot had concluded his final guest lecture series there and settled into his role as Professor Emeritus of Geological Sciences. The only son of an affluent Midwestern jeweler, he had never wanted for means.

He had ventured west decades ago to earn his doctorate at Stanford, though his true passion had taken root far earlier behind the counters of his family’s Des Moines boutique. There, under his father’s exacting eye, he had mastered the delicate arts of watchmaking, stone setting, and lapidary repair. Their annual pilgrimage to the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show was a sacred ritual: hunting down extraordinary specimens and museum-grade stones for an exacting clientele.

The approach to his residence was a narrow, hairpin ascent through the Hollywood Hills. Near the crest, perched dramatically against the slope, Peridot’s sanctuary came into view.

It was a breathtaking triumph of organic architecture—unmistakably paying homage to Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater, yet born of the arid California ridges. Massive vertical pylons of stacked native fieldstone anchored the structure directly into the living rock face, while broad, buff-colored concrete terraces cantilevered boldly out into open space, floating weightlessly above the canyon.

At the edge of the drive, a simple marker stood half-hidden among wild sage: 1740 Tsavorite Lane.

“Thank you for the hospitality, Professor,” I remarked as he swung open the heavy turquoise front door.

The foyer immediately gave way to an airy, dramatic expanse. A pair of cathedral amethyst geodes, over five feet tall, stood like crystalline sentinels flanking the entry, their purple quartz interiors catching the soft wash of natural light cascading from high overhead skylights.


“Welcome to my humble outpost, Adamas,” Peridot said with a dry, knowing smirk.


The house stepped gracefully down the hillside across three tiers, connected by wide-plank walnut floors and a sculptural iron staircase spiraling upward near a fieldstone hearth. Floor-to-ceiling shelves flanked every wall, bound in calfskin, Morocco, and gilt-lettered buckram, meticulously cataloged by mineralogical classification and historical era.


“So this is your Petite Versailles,” I remarked, taking in the sheer volume of print.


Peridot smiled, running a hand along a row of vintage folios. “I find it adequate. When drafting the plans with the architect, my solitary non-negotiable demand was built-in shelving in every habitable quarter.


Make yourself at home on the upper landing; we will convene downstairs this evening over dinner to review what we unearthed in Mumbai.”


My guest quarters occupied the top tier adjacent to his private study, boasting sweeping, floor-to-ceiling views of the Los Angeles basin stretching toward the distant Pacific haze.


Once unpacked, professional curiosity drew me next door into his sanctum. The study was a masterclass in scholarly indulgence. Mineral specimens of beryl, corundum, and tourmaline shared shelf space with antique brass instruments and miniature stone carvings.


One piece on the center pedestal stopped me in my tracks: a substantial signet ring set with an exceptional, saturated yellowish-green gemstone. I leaned close to admire its vibrant vitreous luster and remarkable clarity, noting the unmistakable absence of pleochroism under the skylight’s diffuse illumination. A prize specimen indeed.


My gaze drifted to his workspace. During our frequent video conferences, I had often wondered how Peridot stayed centered on-screen no matter where he paced; three discreet, motion-tracking wide-angle cameras perched near the crown molding provided the answer. Above an expansive walnut desk hung a bank of four frameless monitors displaying global bullion markets, auction catalog feeds, and high-resolution spectroscopic charts. In the corner, a pair of rich, caramel leather wingbacks flanked a smaller corner hearth, while sliding glass panels opened onto a cantilevered teak deck.


Exhausted by the long flight from Mumbai, I retreated to my quarters and collapsed into a deep slumber.


The mellow, melodic resonance of a Westminster chime woke me precisely at five. On the nightstand, an integrated digital panel pulsed with a soft amber indicator: Dinner at 6:00. Join me on the ground floor. — Peridot. A synchronized alert chimed on my mobile screen—a seamless marriage of vintage aesthetic and modern automation.


At six sharp, I followed the aroma of roasted herbs down to the dining room. Peridot was already seated at the head of a rustic oak table, an open volume resting beside his plate.


“What holds your attention tonight?” I asked, pulling out a chair.


“A little recreational reading,” Peridot replied, angling the cover toward me. “Arthur Conan Doyle. I find Mr. Holmes’s methods an exceptional tonic for maintaining one’s mental hygiene. It keeps the cognitive machinery oiled.”


“Speaking of keen observation,” I countered, unfolding my napkin, “I couldn’t help but admire the ring on your study pedestal. Singly refractive, intense yellowish-green body color, exceptional dispersion. A garnet of uncommon caliber.”


Peridot’s eyes twinkled over the rim of his glasses. “Spot on, Adamas. And if I were to inform you that its refractive index measures precisely 1.740?”


I caught his gaze, pausing as the realization struck. “1740 Tsavorite Lane.” I chuckled warmly. “A bespoke address for an unrivaled Tsavorite garnet. You couldn't resist, could you?”


“A rare geologic coincidence I simply couldn’t pass up when the parcel went to auction,” he confessed with a quiet laugh. “A pour of Barolo to celebrate our safe return?”


“Have we heard anything further from our client in India, Mr. Kaniyar?”


Peridot set down his wine glass, his expression shifting from amusement to quiet vigilance. “His dispatch reached me this afternoon. It appears that our elusive friend, Mr. Davies, returned to the bazaar under cover of dusk to retrieve the piece. He slipped the cordon entirely. By now, he could be halfway across the Mediterranean—and I suspect that clever composite doublet of his will resurface before long.”


Peridot raised his glass in a calm, steady toast. “For tonight, Adamas, let the board sit as it lies. We eat first; we hunt tomorrow.”


. . . To be continued.

Comments

  1. It has been months since I read bout Peridot and Adamus-- so I'm wondering - is he hesitant about 'invading' Peridot's privacy when he goes into his librarey-den? and when he mutters, "So that's how he does it." - Does what? But it is interesting and I will read mpre soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Refers to the following video chats: During our many video chats in recent years, I saw how he could always stay within the frame of the video as he moved around his office. Three webcams that appeared to use face detection technology were mounted on the walls. “Voilà—so that’s how he does it,” I muttered to myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts